A balcony has a length, width, and height. The standard size is calculated based on the people’s minimum standard movement. Because of its location which is on the top floor, a balcony also must meet the standards of strength and sturdiness. This standard is intended to prevent the users from any balcony accident. As a space, balcony functions continue to grow. What are those functions? Here is the brief information about the functions of a balcony.
- Balcony as the expansion of space. Because it is directly attached to the room on the top floor, the balcony can be a solution to the expansion of space. For example, to expand the upstairs bedroom, build a balcony directly next to the bedroom side which faces the outdoor. It can be in the front, side, or rear part, depending on the location of the bedroom.
- Balcony to widen the view. Being located on the top floor, the balcony has a wider viewing window of the floor below. This makes the balcony a perfect location to enjoy the scenery surrounding the house.
- Balcony as a confirmation of a floor level. Balcony can assert the difference between upper floor and the floor below. The balcony also confirms the difference in scale and direction toward the building.
- Balcony as a beauty element. Balcony can make wall areas more alive. With the presence of a balcony, a facade can be more dynamic.
- Balcony to add design value. Balcony can function to raise the design value of a building element and space organization. This makes the design of the house more valuable.
- Balcony as an expression of taste. Balcony provides a design statement and an expression of the owner’s tastes.
- Balcony to reduce climate impacts. Balcony that juts out of the wall leaves a space underneath. It then functions as s shade for the space underneath, protecting it from direct sunlight.
- Balcony as a marker. Balcony with a unique or striking shape and color can be used as stand a marker to distinguish a home from other homes.
There are so many balcony design ideas we can adopt. In addition to beautifying a home, a balcony indeed has many other functions. Make the most of your home by creating a cozy balcony then.
Image credit: homemagz.com