Painting the walls is not simply applying paint to the walls. For the maximum results, there are special painting wall techniques for this job, including how to choose the type and color according to the present trend.
If the old paint is still perfectly attached on the wall yet there is stubborn dirt you can remove, you can simply do repainting. Make sure you sand the walls before repainting the wall, and also wash it with water.
It is better not to dilute the paint directly on the can packaging except if you will use all of the paint at that time. If you don’t use all of the paint, make sure you close the can tightly to avoid the paint dries and cannot be used.
The following are several things you need to know when you do an interior wall painting:
- Prepare the surface. The painting result depends on the surface to be painted. Proper preparation will make the painting job faster and easier, providing the best and durable result.
- Wall surface. Check the wall by using a Protimeter, a moisture measurer. The moisture must be below 18 %.
- Old wall paint. When the old paint is still well attached on the wall, simply wash the surface with clean water and rub it with sandpaper or brush at the same time. If necessary, wash the walls with a detergent solution, and then rinse it with clean water.
- Use of paint. Dilute the paint according to the manufacturer’s instructions (see the packaging). Do not overdo it because it can eliminate the priming function.
- Painting failure. There are several problems related to wall painting. The first one is blistering which can be solved by scrapping and removing the paint. After that, simply give the base layer. The second problem is flaking. To deal with it, the wall should be scrapped and cleaned. If necessary, apply the base layer before the final coat. The next one is discoloration in which your wall paint color will look fade as it gets old. For this, do repainting with the same suitable paint. The last wall painting problem is efflorescence. Clean the wall with a damp cloth, sand the wall surface, and do repainting.
Image credit: homedecormags.com