You must have been familiar with the Go Green campaign all over the world. As we know, there have been many negative indications about environmental pollution and destruction of nature. Everyone can in fact participate and perform a go- green campaign, including starting a small step from themselves. Here are several things you can do to start going green from yourself and from your home. Let’s check them out and start doing it today.
- Reduce traffic congestion as well as air pollution by using your personal vehicles more wisely.
- Use only one car to take the whole family or to travel with family on weekends.
- For a relatively close distance, get used to walking or cycling. It is definitely healthier for your body, and you will feel fresh. For a medium and far distance, use buses and trains combined with cycling or walking.
Manage the rubbish
- Unpack garbage from the source. From the kitchen, the garbage should be directly selected and divided over organic waste (food scraps, vegetable, fruit) and inorganic waste (plastic, paper, bottles, cans).
- Accommodate the organic waste in compost processing barrel. After two weeks, the compost is ready to use to cultivate the plants in the garden or pots of beautiful flowers.
- Inorganic waste is valuable items that still can be recycled. Bottles can be used repeatedly. Cans can be made into piggy banks or small pots. Plastic and paper or other items can be neatly wrapped and let them picked up by garbage collectors officers.
- Do not leave the room become a huge warehouse which is full of unused items.
Reduce, reuse, recycle, refuse, and repair
- Reduce the use of materials which potentially damage the environment, reduce waste, reuse unused goods, and recycles unusable items into new useful items.
- Refuse to buy items that will end up as junk or can damage the environment, and repair for reusable items.
- When shopping, buy and use recycled products which are already widely available at affordable prices.
- Do not forget to always prepare cloth/paper bags for shopping, rather than using plastic which takes hundreds of years of time decay.
- The act of reduce, reuse, recycle, refuse, and repair can also be done towards the water. Use water only as needed, and reuse used water which is still clean enough for other purposes.
- Recycle water for other needs; refill ground water supplies with water absorption from wells (recharge); and encourage the improvement of water sources such as lake and river (recovery).
- Do not forget to close the tap when not needed. Save water when washing hands and washing cups/plates; select dual flush toilets; install water taps with a sensor system; and create water absorption from wells on the yard.
Use electricity wisely
- Use electronic products which are energy saving. Turn off the lights during the day or if it is not necessary. Turn off the computer equipment when not in use.
- Do not leave electrical appliances in a standby condition because the power is still being consumed.
- Consider the openings; windows, doors, skylights, and vent. Make sure that you have cross ventilation so that the air circulation inside the room feels fresh and bright throughout the day. If not, do a little remodeling by making openings that allow air and light to flow smoothly. This will save the use lights and air conditioning.
- If there is no tree as the shade, create a garden. Try to let your rooms face the garden, and decorate the garden with beautiful plants.
- Plant large trees as many as possible. Trees are the lungs of nature that produce oxygen for breathing.
Image credit: ediblefacial.com