The presence of mosquitoes in the house can be very disturbing and even dangerous to our health. It is because mosquitoes are one of the animals that can cause and spread diseases which are harmful to us. There are several types of mosquitoes that are always ‘loyal’ to visit our home, and the one we need to be aware of at this time is the Aedes aegypti mosquito species. Its bite can spread dengue fever which is dangerous. Also in some areas, there are still found Anopheles mosquito species that can cause malaria.
It is impossible to eliminate mosquitoes from home environment for granted. But you need to know that mosquitoes do not fly far up for kilometers to your home every day to find their prey. Minimize the breeding nest and places liked by the mosquitoes around your home is the best strategy to control mosquitoes in your home and surrounding.
Well, then how to get rid of mosquitoes from home? The following are five tips to make your house free from mosquitoes:
- Provide sufficient natural lighting in the home. Mosquitoes love to nest in moist, cold and dark environments. Thus, provide wide openings to let the natural lights enter the rooms in your house.
- Eliminate stagnant water which can be a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Dispose waste and used materials such as cans, barrels, pots, basins, and buckets which can be a breeding place for mosquitoes. Remember that female mosquitoes will lay their eggs in stagnant water. These eggs will develop into larvae and then turn into the adult within 10 days. Drain the tub at least once a week to prevent mosquito eggs hatch into larvae. Put some fish in garden ponds as natural predators of mosquito larvae. If you cannot eliminate the stagnant water, then sprinkle abate powder into the water to prevent larvae from developing into adult mosquitoes.
- Change the habit of hanging clothes for a long period. Do not get used to hang clothes on hangers (especially behind the door) for a long time. In addition to making it appear less tidy, it could also become a comfortable dwelling place for mosquitoes. Hang clothes in the closet and give some kind of fragrances, camphor, etc.
- Install blinds/mosquito netting. To prevent mosquitoes from entering the house, you should install a blind or mosquito netting on the ventilation holes, windows or doors. At this time there are many modern mosquito curtain products from various brands, which can be installed easily. This installation can be a part of interior home decoration.
- Prune plants which are too dense. The leafy plants around the house would provide a calm, fresh and natural atmosphere. However, this area is one of favorite places for mosquitoes. Thus, prune the leaves which are too dense periodically.
Image credit: mygetridofguide.com