A house is supposed to give you comfort and security. Yet, when it is not well maintained, a house can even be harmful for you. Here are some facts and simple changes you can do to make your home healthier and better for you and your family members.
- Pets improve emotional well-being. Unfortunately, it also can make you feel unwell. Pets are said to be able to worsen allergy symptoms due to their urine, saliva and skin.
- Cats are examples of pets that most commonly cause allergies in humans, but any other pets can actually cause allergy problems. In addition to allergies, pets can also carry salmonella which can cause diarrhea and vomiting.
- Cats can carry a parasite in their feces that causes toxoplasmosis. It can be dangerous for children and can cause miscarriage for pregnant women.
- Vacuum regularly with a high efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filtered engine. This tool is able to filter out even the smallest allergen extracts in the air.
- Frequently wash the carpet and remove dust or animal hair attached.
- Prevent pets from licking your face, and make sure everyone in the family washes their hands after touching the pets.
- Double-glazed windows are now commonly used for saving energy and helping to withstand the cold weather. Unfortunately, they form a kind of seal against wind and weather which reduces air circulation.
- Condensation can also quickly happen while cooking, breathing, and bathing. This moisture can lead to mold which makes asthma symptoms worse.
- Occasionally open your windows when you are at home to maintain good air circulation.
- If necessary, install an exhaust fan in the kitchen to remove steam and cooking odors.
Chemicals in the kitchen
- A shiny kitchen always looks great. Yet, household cleaning products can cause health problems and even chemical sensitivity syndrome.
- Bleach liquid is widely used to decontaminate surfaces, including bathroom. After being used, the chemical release vapor that can worsen asthma symptoms.
- Many aerosol cleaning products contain volatile organic compounds (VOCs) which are used as propellant. VOCs can cause headaches, drowsiness, and feeling unwell.
- There are many natural products that are useful for keeping the house clean and smelling fresh. We suggest you use baking soda as an abrasive cleanser.
- Soda bicarbonate can also be a natural air freshener. Mix it with water and a few drops of essential oil. Put it in a sprayer and spray the plants around the room.
- Vinegar can also be used to clean windows and surfaces.
- Lemon juice can remove stains on surfaces.
- Many people believe that allergies can be triggered from the fur in pillows and blankets. Unfortunately, they cannot blame the real cause.
- In most cases, it turns out that it is the mites on the fur that cause the symptoms.
- Replace the fur pillow and blanket with the ones without fur.
- Use high -quality cotton pillowcase with dense woven so that allergens cannot come to break through.
- Some mention that hard plastic baby bottles contain the chemical Bisphenol A (BPA), which is associated with an increased risk of prostate and breast cancer.
- BPA is also found in a wide range of other plastic products, including lap top computers and cutlery on the table.
- The Food Standards Agency in the UK said that might be BPA can affect hormone systems in the human body. But there is no evidence it causes a loss in humans.
- If you worry, just switch to plastic bottles which do not contain BPA, or even to glass bottles. Alternatively, don’t fill baby bottles with boiling water because there is evidence that it can make BPA melted from the plastic and go into the liquid.
- In addition, get rid of old bottles which can melt the BPA. Simply do not store plastic bottles over six months.
Image credit: builderonline.com