Pests are organisms that disrupt peace all human activity. They can cause damage to materials (furniture, walls, floor, etc.), and carry disease-causing bacteria. The following are some facts and solutions about pests at home.
When rainy season approaches, the outbreaks of pests are usually more rampant. For instance, rats that have settled in the sewers find that their nest is full of water. It forces them to find a more comfortable place, and generally they move into houses. While in the dry season, the mosquito and flying insect populations are skyrocketing.
To prevent this, pests in the home need to be cleaned every two weeks. But on special occasions, such as the when rainy season approaches, more intensive care is needed to protect homes from pests.
- Rats are very fond of such messy things such as piles of paper, piles of cardboard, a closet that is never opened, or areas that rarely have movements and not occupied. urthermore, these rodents belong to the type of nocturnal animals which looks food during the night when the home occupants are sleeping.
- Rats can cause damage to power cable, wood, and also pipes. They also carry the bacteria that cause plague, food poisoning through the feces, fever, and others.
- A pair of rats can multiply into two thousands in a year.
- If the rats come out of the nest in the evening, it could be the population is very high so they have to work off the clock so that they can get enough food.
- Baiting: Spreading food on some points.
- Trapping: Unfortunately, rats can smell their friends’ carcasses so that they might reluctant to enter into the same trap.
- Rat box: Filling in the food box with poison. Rats will take and bring food to the nest, and then transfer rat poison to others.
- Mosquitoes like damp and dark places, which do not have a lot of wind flow. Their life cycle is 10 up to 14 days, and they are very interested in the human body temperature.
- Home mosquitoes are usually active at night and breed in water containing organic materials such as water and sewer drains.
- Mosquitoes are the cause of dangerous diseases such as malaria, dengue fever, or elephantiasis. The buzzing noise can also interfere with sleep.
- Unlike home mosquitoes, dengue mosquitoes tend to be active during the day and breed in clean water.
- Pesticides: The use of pesticides on mosquito should be replaced every three months. If not, the mosquitoes will become resistant to the pesticides.
- Ants like the sweet flavor and protein. They will visit food scraps and settle on a crack near a food source. As a kind of animal colonies, the number 0f ants could reach ten thousands.
- Some types of ants can bite and cause itching, and can also contaminate food or drink.
- Spraying: It is done to the cracks in the house which becomes a nest for ants.
- Special gel: This toxic gel is mixed with food which attracts ants.
- Plywood which is usually used for kitchen cabinets is preferred by termites. Their foods are wood cellulose found in wood and paper.
- Termites can damage wood furniture, and compromise the security if they damage ceilings that serve as a buffer.
- Poison: By poisoning the termites that are in charge of finding food, you also poison the other termites hiding.
- Termicide: To apply this poison you need to mix it with water and kerosene first, and then insert it into the pores of the wood or soil.
- Cockroaches like high protein content. They breed in damp places and eat the leftover food or objects found in the water channel. Try to get rid of unused items in the kitchen cabinet because roaches usually hide in this area.
- Cockroaches’ feet bring thousands of bacteria that cause diarrhea, food poisoning, and other diseases. Besides, the smell of cockroaches also can stick long in the cupboards.
- Once laying, the female cockroach can produce 48 cockroaches.
- Cockroaches are the most superior pests spreading diseases because they carry a lot of bacteria.
- Pesticides: This method is actually less effective because cockroaches can smell the pesticide from a distance of five meters.
- Combination: Tidy up the area filled with cockroaches and mop using hot water and also detergent.
Better to prevent
Perform the steps below to prevent pests at home:
- Close the entire entering points such as the gaps on fences and door holes to avoid the rats, wall cracks that often become the ant nest, and also put wire netting to avoid mosquitoes.
- Empty the trash cans before the night time.
- Cut the grass and prune branches that stick to the house.
- Repair and clean the drains.
- Use pesticide and change its type once every three months.
- Use incandescent bulbs to reduce flies since they are attracted to white light.
Image credit: servicemagic.co.uk