Hiring professionals to paint your home is a safe option indeed. However, painting the home on your own is not that difficult. In addition to cost saving, doing it by yourself can also give you a sense of satisfaction. Well, here are the easy home painting tips for beginner:
- Prepare the tools and materials which include paint, paint base, wall putty, paint exfoliating fluid, scrapper, bleach, waterproofing, sandpaper, sealants, duct tape, brush, roller, tray, and extension pole.
- See the condition of the walls to be painted. If the wall is new, wait for about 14 – 30 days to ensure that it is completely dry. Walls must be free from water content before being painted because the water always comes out so that it will push the paint, peeling it off. If there are cracks, use sparkling or putty to close the crack.
- For old wall, check its condition first, whether it is moldy, peeled, or damaged. Wall with old paint should ideally be peeled before being painted. Exfoliation can be done with a special liquid for peeling paints. Sweep the surface of the wall with peeling liquid. Wait a minute, and exfoliate it with spatula when it has been soft. If the surface of the wall still feels rough, smooth it with sandpaper.
- Do not forget to clean the wall from dust, mold, mildew, or dirt, e.g. with a special liquid (bleach) or simply with soapy water. Wait until the wall dry, then do the painting. If the wall is damp, do waterproofing. Do not immediately paint it because the paint will peel off definitely.
- If the surface is clean and flat, do the painting directly. You can use the first priming or select a special paint that can be applied without priming. To tidy up the gap between the frames and the wall use the sealant.
- When you paint the wall using a brush, do it in one pull horizontally. While if you use a roller, you can do it by drawing a V shape, then overwrite it horizontally and vertically alternately until the entire area is painted.
- For outdoor wall painting avoid painting when the walls face the sun because it will make the paint dry faster and peeled off. You should do the painting with the sun’s position on the top of the head or behind the walls painted. Also avoid painting at night because the night cold temperatures will make the old paint dry slowly, so that the dirt will stick faster.
In addition to safety, you must choose a paint that meets some criteria. Here are some other important tips for painting a house:
- Make sure you have the paint according to the purpose of your painting. For example, wall paint for painting the walls, wood paint, metal paint, and so on. In addition, adjust it is to its use, whether it is indoor or outdoor.
- Make sure that the paint you select is high quality paint. In the long run, high quality paint is much cheaper than the low quality one.
- Choose paint that is safe for the user and for the walls, like paint made from 100 percent acrylic latex. Safe paint does not contain lead, odorless, VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) or toxic substances, and is accompanied by a security certificate.
- Choose good-quality tools so that the paint can be used more optimally.
So, what do you think about painting the house on your own? It must be easy and simple. Just follow the house painting tips above and be ready to make your dream home come true.
Image credit: repcolitepaints.blogspot.com