To make your house look more colorful with unique patterns, you can try installing wallpaper. With the wallpaper, the walls of your house will look way more attractive without you having to worry about the dangers of mercury contained in wall paint.
Nowadays many people prefer wallpaper to wall paint as wall covering because it is considered more attractive and expressive. In addition, there are wide options of colors and patterns for wallpaper. It is indeed possible to create attractive patterns with wall painting, yet it requires a technique which is not easy. Unlike wall paint, wallpaper is easy to install; simply choose the one you like, glue it on the wall, and here you get your unique and expressive wall surfaces.
The following are some advantages of wallpaper compared to wall paint:
- Wallpaper will last longer than wall paint. Wall paint usually last for two years, while wallpaper can last for five to ten years.
- Wallpaper has a lot of options ranging from the colors, patterns, and pictures which will make your house look attractive, not monotonous.
- Wallpaper can cover any cracks or uneven surfaces on the walls which cannot be done by using wall paint.
- Installing wallpaper will not cause dust or smell of chemical substances like the ones produced by wall paint.
In addition to the advantages above, you can also install the wallpaper on your own. Here’s how to install the wallpaper:
- Equipment. Prepare the necessary equipment, such as plastic sheets, ladder, cutter, pencil, ruler and tape measure, thread and heavy matter, wallpaper glue, 2 containers for glue, sponge, glue brush, roller, sandpaper, and a putty knife to smooth the wall.
- Glue preparation. After the surface of the wall is ready, mix the glue with water. Make it in two separate containers; glue for the joints and glue for the whole wall surface. The first glue is is thicker so that it has a higher adhesive power.
- Measurement. Measure the length and width of the area to be coated with wallpaper. Adjust the width of the wall surface to the width of the wallpaper. Provide approximately 1 to 1.5 inches for the connection section.
- Cutting. Cut the wallpaper into some sections as needed. See the installation instructions on the package that explains how to harmonize patterns between panels or pieces of wallpaper.
- Position. Mark the position of the wallpaper using a pencil. Use threat and heavy matter to make the position straight and neat.
- Glue application. Once marked, apply the glue with a roller on the surface of the wall. Do it slowly.
- Sticking the wallpaper. Stick the wallpaper carefully. Consider the mark you have created earlier.
- Connection. In the connection, use the thicker glue. Apply it with a special brush.
- Finishing. Smooth the wallpaper that has been attached with an acrylic ruler. Cut the rest of the wallpaper with a cutter. Use a sponge to soak up the excess glue. This process also serves to make wallpaper smooth.
- Checking. Once installed, check it again to make sure about its neatness, especially on the connections and corners . Do this before the glue dries, because once the glue is dry, it will be very difficult to change the position of the wallpaper.
Image credit: modthesims2.com